Saturday, November 28, 2009

Sinterklaas and other stuff

Today I went into town with my owner and I saw Sinterklaas!!
For those not familiar with Sinterklaas: On the 5th of December the dutch celebrate Sinterklaasavond (St. Nicholas Eve). On that day Sinterklaas (the bearded fellow in red) and his helper Zwarte Piet (Black Pete) bring around presents to everyone. He arrived in Groningen last week from Spain to make some last preparations for next week and today he paid a visit to the market in Groningen. My owner told me he will be bringing us presents too next week!

While we were trying to figure out what Sinterklaas was going to do suddenly this weird guy with no shirt on came running around! And after that some other guy started to sing some really terrible songs for Sinterklaas so we didn't stick around.

In one of the shops we visited I got this small cup with a white powdery stuff inside.
What can it be?

It turned out to be dried horsemilk!
We also got a pamphlet to explain why it seems to be good for you.

And look what my owner got me: A Sint and Piet paint set with Sinterklaas candy!

4 comments:

Demented Wench said...

The candy looks good.

I'm not so sure about the horse milk or the shirtless guy.

Beanie Mouse said...

CANDY??! Yummy!!! And a paint set as well?? How fun!! Andrea told me to tell you that the English Santa has Something Wrapped Up just for you and it's to do with going on Holiday. And you shouldn't worry about packing.

Hammie Hamster said...

Did you already paint? Never had horsemilk but I heard that some people with allergies drink that because it helps them... G. says that she's allways a little impressed when she sees Sinterklaas ;-).

Sullivan McPig said...

@Beanie: Oooh! a present from Santa as well as Sinterklaas! How exciting!
@Hammie: my owner has the same thing
And we painted the Sinterklaas today!