Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Sullivan's Lost Adventure in Bourtange - part 1

 



When Gilbert visited Bourtange in June, Sullivan told him he had been there as well. But when we checked the blog, we couldn't find Sullivan's trip! He never blogged about it!

When we saw that friends visited Bourtange this weekend we were reminded of this lost adventure once again, so here is:

Sullivan's Lost Adventure in Bourtange

In June 2018 my owner took me on a trip to Bourtange. It was a special occasion as there were reenactments of Napoleonic battles that took place at Bourtange. As soon as we arrived I spotted the tents of the soldiers.

There were lots of them and I was immediately in a historic mood.

People were dressed up in Napoleonic era costumes and were cooking outside even though the weather was a bit grey.

I think this guy was a Napoleonic marine. He showed us how to load a gun.

What a fun event. And we hadn't even reached the actual settlement yet.

Once on the earthen wall surrounding Bourtange we saw a crowd and decided to see what was going on.

There were soldiers playing around with cannons.


I found a spot where I had a good view of them lighting a cannon.

There's a lot of smoke when you fire a cannon.

It was cool to see all the people in costume.

After we watched them shoot cannons for a while we went into the settlement in search of lunch.

I spotted this cool painting.

French fries!

After lunch there was an event taking place in the moat surrounding Bourtange. We had to see that of course.

Nothing happening just yet...

There soldiers doing stuff at the other side, but I couldn't make it out.

Then we saw boats rowing across the moat.

The soldiers in it reached our side! Isn't a moat meant to protect from invaders?

I wonder what will be next.


3 comments:

Beanie Mouse said...

Oh wow!!! What a fun trip - but your owner needs a de-merit for forgetting to post this when you actually went!!

Sullivan McPig said...

She had a stern talking to indeed!

miki said...

great memory, it's kind of funny to read about this trip only now, makes me nolstalgic in a good way