Monday, December 16, 2019

Gilbert: Schiermonnikoog

Back to my adventures during the week in October we had a visitor.
On Wednesday of that week we went to Schiermonnikoog!


Schiermonnikoog is an island in the north of the Netherlands and is the favorite vacation spot of Sullivan. He didn't mind not going along, but said he might want to go on our birthday.


We biked around and enjoyed the beautiful scenery.


Then we stopped for a hot chocolate with amaretto before going to the beach.


Oh, shells. These are called razor shells I think?


I'm beginning to understand why Sullivan loves Schiermonnikoog.










I wouldn't mind coming here when it's summer.






Next we visited the old German bunker.
The bunker was build in WWII to host a radar system, but when they wanted to place the pole for the system it turned out it didn't fit. Some suspected it might have been sabotage.


The bunker has small windows to see who enters, which can be used to defend the bunker.


Yeah.... I don't know what that says.


Outside again!


According to Sullivan you can't go to Schiermonnikoog without visiting the red lighthouse.


I saw a shed with all kinds of different lifebuoys.
I think they were all washed up on the beach here.


There was a cool blue sign next to the lighthouse.


The perfect place for a last picture of me and the lighthouse.


One last look at the beach and the sea.


Then we went to Duinzicht for hot chocolate and a very tasty meal, close to the fireplace.


Another fun day.
Stay tuned for more