Monday, November 18, 2019

Gilbert: A Day in the Country - part 1

This traveling and blogging thing is more work than I thought.
The traveling is so much fun, but then afterward you have to look at what pictures you want to use, and what you want to tell about your adventures. It took me a long while to decide between all the pictures of our trip on October 8, so here is finally part one of that trip! And I did lots more so I'll try to catch up soon.

On October 8 me and our owner went on a trip with two of our owner's friends: Diana and Freya. They wanted to see a bit more of the province of Groningen. We decided to take them to the Menkemaborg. Sullivan had been there once and told me it was a cool place to visit.


On our way we saw a small church and decided to have a closer look.


It was closed, but the outside looked really beautiful.


There was a graveyard with really old graves.
The weeping willow is a symbol of sadness and loss


The decay of these old tombstones is sadly beautiful in my opinion.


We then went on to our next stop:
The Menkemaborg


The Menkemaborg is one of the few remaining Estate houses in Groningen. It probably goes as far back as the end of the fourteenth century. It has a beautiful garden, a maze, and a small orchard well!


We had a look around the garden first.


Side view of the Menkemaborg.


The garden had some benches you can use to sit and enjoy it, but the weather wasn't too sunny, so we soon walked on.


Next to plants there were statues in the garden as well.


And mushrooms.


I'm not sure if she is sad or annoyed.
And is that a tear or a beauty mark?


I found some more mushrooms.


These grew right out of the border next to the path.


Clouds, because Sullivan told me that you sometimes just have to post pictures of a beautiful sky.


We found the maze and decided to try to find the center of the maze.


But we were thwarted!


At one point I was just hoping we would find our way out again. I should have brought wool so I could have used a thread to not get lost.


Luckily we found our way out at last.


Next we had a look at some of the orchard trees.
These apples looked very tasty.


Coming next: Menkemaborg part 2

3 comments:

Jerry and Ben said...

Great presentation Gilbert! Beautiful location.

miki said...

Great job Gilbert! did you taste those apples?

Sullivan McPig said...

Gilbert brought some home, as you could get some for a small donation at the gift shop :-)