Monday, June 16, 2014

My trip to Normandy - Day 5, part 1 - A Church


On June 4 we could borrow bicycles, so we decided to visit some of the villages nearby.




We found this beautiful church.




A really friendly elderly lady told us that this was the only church in the area that hadn't been damaged during WWII. But sadly enough there wasn't enough money to keep the church in good order. The interior needed restoration, there was danger that stones would fall, so nobody was allowed inside the church anymore.




There were cows grazing next to the church.




There was a graveyard as well, and we had a look around of course.























Coming next: more churches


6 comments:

RodeEgel said...

An extremely pleasant and joyful day! :-)

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

The more I see of Normandy through your photos, Sully, the more I want to visit! It's got everything I look for in a vacation spot: picturesque countryside, historical artefacts, and even ruins!

Well, perhaps I shouldn't be too hasty about calling the church a ruin. =P But if it is very old and people are no longer allowed inside, it "hits the spot" for me!

By the way, what kind of camera does your owner use to take your photos? I've been dissatisfied with my current camera lately and have been asking people to suggest an upgrade.

Sullivan McPig said...

In this case I have to agree and call it a ruin as well.
And I have to confess my owner uses the camera on her phone. It's a HTC with a 5.0 megapixel camera. Maybe not the most advanced camera, but she always has it with her, and does the job most of the time.

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

thank you for sharing the pics, the church is beautiful!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

No worries! At this point, it would be more practical for me to have a smartphone with a good camera rather than a smartphone and a camera. And I agree that your owner's smartphone does a good job. Thanks for the tip! It will be helpful. =)

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Belated thanks for your answer, Sully! I'm not looking for a really fancy camera. In fact, a smartphone with a decent camera would be perfect for me. =)