Wednesday, July 10, 2013

A trip to Rome - I see lots of fountains


The next day we woke early and after breakfast we went on our way because we wanted to visit a museum that opened at 9:00 am.


On our way to the museum we saw lots of cool things, like this big fountain.


The sun was already shining brightly and it promised to be a wonderful day.


We also saw a parking area just for scooters.
There's lots of traffic in rome so many people ride scooters to get to work. Behind the scooter parking area there was a church.


Across the street we saw another fountain, but becuase we wanted to make it to the museum we didn't cross the street to take a closer look. But I can tell you this isn't the last you've seen of this particular fountain yet.


Yet another church. There are lots of churches in Rome I can tell you.


A fountain with bees on it!


This fountain is called 'Fontana delle Api', which means fountain of the bees. It's made by someone named Bernini for a family who has the bee as their symbol. The fountain was made so everyone can use the water, not just the family who had it made.


What a cool fountain.

Close to the bee fountain was the museum we wanted to visit: The crypt of the Santa Maria della Concezione. We weren't allowed to take pictures, so that's why I included a picture of me and a card I bought at the museum.


In the crypt there are displays made out of human skeletons and bones. These displays were made by Capuchin monks and are meant to be a reminder of the swift passage of life. It's both a macabre and beautiful sight.


After visiting the crypt we did lots more sightseeing.
Here's another pillar. This one is made out of an Egyptian obelisk.


A lion ornament on an old wall.


We found a great spot to overlook the city.


I'm really enjoying my visit to Rome I must say.


Yet another fountain!
This one had a lion spitting out water. How cool!


All the walking and the sunny weather had made us thirsty again so after seeing the lion fountain we sat down for a drink. Then it was time for even more exploring, so stay tuned for my next post.

4 comments:

Jerry and Ben said...

Great photos Sullivan. We especially like the one of you on the lion ornament!

Aurian said...

Thanks for another nice post, I love those kind of travelling posts. I think Bernini was a very famous sculptor?

Sullivan McPig said...

@Aurian: My owner says you're right. Bernini made lots of sculptures for the church.

Hammie Hamster said...

Soooo nice to travel there with you like this :-)! Thanks for sharing!