Monday, July 11, 2011

Beautiful Prague - Churches and other Buildings


I took so many pictures I decided not to do a chronological account, but make a couple of posts showing you some of all the beautiful things I saw.

One of the first buildings I saw after we reached the city center of Prague was the National Museum. It is said to be even more beautiful on the inside, but we didn't get to it to visit the museum to see if that is true.

Prague is full of buildings that are decorated in Barock style. You only have to look up and you see all kinds of decorations in yellow, red and other colours.

There's also lots of towers and such. We were on our way to one of the old towers when we spotted this one and thought we had reached our destination. It turned out to be another tower than the one we were looking for.

Next to the tower there was a small church with this beautiful statue outside.

After some more walking we reached the tower we had set out to see.

It used to be a gate into the city, but it looks like the city grew a lot since it was build as now it's somewhere in the middle of the city.

On the Old City Square I saw this church peeking out from behind some houses. It's called the Tyn Church.

The weird thing about this church is that it's completely stuck between the houses. You can reach the entrance through a small corridor. As you can see the houses are attached to the church. Very strange.

Some more pictures of the Tyn Church.



On the other side of the square is another church: The St. Nicolas Church.

This is one of the statues on the outside of the St. Nicolas Church. I wonder who it is as it doesn't look much like the bearded Saint Nicolas I know and who brings us presents every year on December 5th. Maybe it's Saint Nicolas when he was young.

A mural I spotted on another church.
It's Saint George I think as he's slaying a dragon.

And a lovely view on the Saint George Church.

And as last picture for today another statue of a saint, but I'm not sure what saint it is.

Tune in tomorrow for more pictures of Prague.

8 comments:

Beanie Mouse said...

What fabulous pictures!!! Did you know that Prague is the only European city that did NOT get bombed in World War 2? That's why you still have all the beautiful old buildings!!

Jerry and Ben said...

Beautiful, beautiful!! We hope to visit there one day.

Raquel said...

Wow, watching your photos makes me envidious! I would like to travel to Prague some day, it looks beautiful and full of history and monuments worth to visit!
Kisses

Demented Wench said...

Amazing and beautiful pictures Sullivan. :)

Ryan Lorenc-Haluska said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ryan Lorenc-Haluska said...

Wow! Hi, Sullivan! My Daddy says he was in Prague for one Month.
He Liked it there but said the Language was Difficult for him.
Enjoy your Trip and thank you for Sharing it with us.

Sullivan McPig said...

Thanks everyone!
@Ryan: I can understand I've heard that even the Czech people themselves are having trouble with it sometimes.

Hammie Hamster said...

Your pictures make me travel with you! So nice that I can share holiday this time!