Friday, April 30, 2010

Queen's Day


Today it was Queen's Day, the day the Dutch celebrate the birthday of the queen.

There's always a big open market on Queen's Day and as we want to declutter our house a bit as we have to move house temporarily in July for the renovation we decided to try and sell some of our excess stuff, like old books and such.

I kept an eye on everyone who passed to make sure no one ran off without paying.

And there were lots of people walking by so I was pretty busy all day.

But I also had time for a few short breaks and in one of my breaks I looked around a bit.

This Jeep and the truck in the last picture were army vehicles! There were people from the army to give demonstrations and tell people a bit about the army.

I also met this nice lady, who was dressed in a tradional costume and was making wooden clogs!

We did manage to sell lots of our stuff and we then celebrated it by spending our well deserved money by going to our favourite restaurant!

It was a great Queen's Day!!


9 comments:

Brenda Hyde said...

Oh my gosh, what kind of soup is that? It looks SOOOO good!

Sullivan McPig said...

It's chinese tomato soup with leek

Demented Wench said...

It looks like fun and I see you snuck some food spam in. ;)

Beanie Mouse said...

Oh how fun!!! Markets and food! Excellent!

Sullivan McPig said...

@Demented Wench: Muhahaha!!!

permanentcloud said...

looks like a lot of fun! that woman making clogs is awesome! :)

Sally Ann and Andy said...

Could she make clogs for you?
Sally Ann

Marlowe said...

Did you make a lot of money? Mom says that she probably would have done more shopping then selling!

Sullivan McPig said...

@Sally Ann: She only had really big ones with her and no extra wood to make a small pair.

@Marlowe: We made more than I expected, we had enough to pay for our meals at the restaurant. And my owner and me avoided the other sellers or we would have spend it on more books.